November 8, 2014

Banner42-2 The banner awaiting final assembly

I led the worship on the Sunday following the Referendum and preached a sermon about the need to grow together in the service of God, it seemed to be appreciated by the congregation, the service was followed by lunch for the congregation at the Priests house.

On Tuesday Bishop Dennis arrived amongst the chaos of a very full and busy Bishop’s House, as usual he just joined in. As usual Dennis and myself set out to visit and chat with as many people as we could, more friends also arrived to reflect on the new Scotland and how it effected them and so life was just wonderful, challenging and busy. It all came together on Saturday as we celebrated the 900th anniversary of the Diocese of Moray and 150 years since the establishment of the present United Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness, the Cathedral was full, a new banner was created, Bishop Dennis preached, Bishop John of Edinburgh and Dean Susan of Edinburgh joined in the procession along with Provost Nicki of Oban. Ecumenical friends, representatives of local government and Lord’s Lieutenants and people from all corners of the Diocese, we had a great afternoon. It also marked the end of a very faithful ministry in the Diocese as this was the last time Canon  Alex Gordon would  be at a Diocesan event as Provost of the Cathedral, for the following day he was stepping down and heading for his new ministry in Geneva.

On the Sunday I was celebrating in Ullapool, Lochinver and then Kinlochbervie, I asked +Dennis if he would preach and so a car full set off form Bishop’s House and made it’s way up the West Coast of the Diocese. As ever we were welcomed wonderfully, lunch in the kitchen at Ullapool with lots of laughter, a brief stop at Ardvreck Castle and Inchnadamph Old Church, a happy and full congregation at Lochinver and another wonderful spread and finally another busy  congregation in the far North and the best egg sandwiches in the United Diocese at Kinlochbervie. We drove home via Edderton where we dropped Rev Loma off before a tired group of people arrived back at Arpafeelie.