St James the Great, Dingwall

Episcopalian worship continued in the Dingwall for some time after Presbyterianism became established in Scotland. It was only after the death of the Reverend John MacRae in 1704, that Episcopalians held their services in private houses around the town, until the Chapel in Castle Street was built a century later.

Services began in the new Chapel in 1806. Archdeacon Duncan Mackenzie (know affectionately as “Parson Duncan”) came from St Paul’s at Strathnairn on alternate Sundays.

In 1851 the church, which faced north was demolished, and a new one, facing east, was erected on the same site. The new Gothic church, designed by the influential English architect, J L Pearson, was consecrated in 1854, but survived less than twenty years.

In 1871 it was severely damaged in a great fire which gutted the entire building. Restoration work began immediately and it was rebuilt along the lines of Pearson’s design by Alexander Ross of Inverness.

Around the walls of the church can be seen the Coats of Arms of the seven Dioceses of the Scottish Episcopal Church. The eighth is the Coat of Arms of the whole Church.

Address

Castle Street, Dingwall, IV15 9HU

Phone Number

01349 862204

Church Website

https://wyvischurches.wordpress.com/

Services

Wednesday 10.15am – Eucharist

Sunday 10.30am – The form of service is usually a Sung Eucharist and the venue alternates between St James’ the Great, Dingwall and St Anne’s, Strathpeffer.
For service times and venues please see the home page.

Clergy in Charge

Rev Julia Boothby

Additional Clergy

Rev Valerie Saunders
Rev Ruth Flockhart
Rev Dr Barbara Chandler