The College of Bishops confirmed that the fourth Sunday after Easter would be kept as ‘Vocations Sunday’ in the Scottish Episcopal Church. This falls on May 11th in 2014.
It is often referred to as ‘Good Shepherd Sunday’, because the gospel reading for the day is taken from John 10, which explores the image of Jesus as the good shepherd.
Vocations Sunday offers us the opportunity to consider what ‘calling’ means in the Church, and how we may best use our gifts in God’s service.
This document aims to provide resources for congregations and their leaders to explore the
theme of vocation at services on April 21st. The sections are:
- suggested prayers
- using the sermon time
- links to other websites which offer further resources
- Provincial Director of Ordinands (PDO) article from Inspires on ‘Vocation in the SEC today’ (2011)
If you would like further information or help for Vocations Sunday, please contact your Diocesan Director of Ordinands (DDO) or the Provincial Director of Ordinands (PDO):
Diocesan Director of Ordinands
- Aberdeen: Revd. Graham Taylor
- Argyll and the Isles: Revd. Hugh Lee
- Brechin: Revd. Kirrilee Reid
- Edinburgh: Revd. Marion Chatterley and Revd. Richard Cornfield
- Glasgow and Galloway: Revd. Scott Robertson
- Moray, Ross and Caithness: Revd. Mel Langille
- St Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane: Revd. Dom Ind
Provincial Director of Ordinands
- Revd. Alison Peden [insert link to contact form]